Sunday, May 10, 2009

Who grows a beard in May?

This guy!

In case if you're wondering why I'm growing a beard in May, you're not a hockey fan. That's OK. I like you less than I did before, but not a lot less. Just a bit. But, if I may - click here. That's Eric - he's in the playoff beard club too. Feel free to send a donation his way, all the monies raised on the site will go Blackhawks' charities. Eric, when you read this, post a new pic for the Beard-a-thon.

The Blackhawks are in the playoffs. And, not just the playoffs the way the St. Louis Blues showed up, they're one win away from the Western Conference Finals vs. the winner of Detroit/Anaheim. The Hawks have won 7 post-season games in the playoffs. In the last 11 seasons, they'd won one.

Needless to say, I look borderline Canadian lumberjack-ish. Please note I included "ish" so as to not offend Canadian lumberjacks who would feel as though my playoff beard isn't beardly enough for them. Secondly noted: they're Canadian lumberjacks on a computer. That's a miracle. But, let us not go so far as to say it's this kind of miracle. Because, really, it's all about next year.

As for the Blackhawks and my playoff beard...it will be bitter sweet when it goes. If you're not sure of the playoff beard rules, see here. Ok, since you didn't click on the link:

You shave the day of the first playoff game - you can't get a playoff beard now - it's too deep and too late. Remember this for next year. Also, if you're female, you shouldn't be growing a beard.

Then, you don't shave or trim until your team is out. That means round one through the Stanley Cup Finals (that's the cup to the right). However, I did scrounge around for the rules, which is where I found that link you skipped over. You are allowed to manscape the neck. Which I did. Unless you're Eric and you rock the Kyle Orton.

But, again back to the bittersweetness of it all. Because, lets face it, no one wants to grow a beard in May. But, for those few fortunate teams and their millions of fans - you have to. Those are the hockey rules. If you don't play by the rules, you're a cheater. No one likes a cheater. So, I've taken up my patriotic duty and am rocking the playoff beard. Please note: this is the first time in my life I've had the opportunity to grow one. The last time the Hawks were in the playoffs, facial hair was not an issue for me. Let alone trying to grow a playoff beard.

But, I know that when I shave it, and bare faced I become, I'll have it again. And I look forward to it.

Don't forget, the Hawks play Vancouver tomorrow (Monday - in case if you're reading this Monday) and with that win they will await the Wings/Ducks winner. With a loss, we've got another game after. And, with a win, we're guarenteed another series to grow the beard out. June seems like a good time to shave.

1 comment:

Sean said...

First of all, thanks for the new desktop background. There you are in all your glory: shirtless, bearded, masculine, wet, dripping wet, soaking wet, drenched in man sweat...damnit! control yourself Sean! This is not how you act like a straight man.

Second of all, the faithful readers need an update on the Err Dizz's beard. I need to see some comparisons happening here.

Third of all, I have never, ever, ever watched a live hockey game on television...until now. If I see the Chi-town Blackhawks are playing, I flip the tuner over to catch a glimpse and root on your team. I still have no idea what's happening (and I'm very secretly waiting for the Ice Girls to make an appearance) but here's a 'Go Blackhawks' for ya.